published on August 4, 2013|
- I realized recently that lots of films are being released on VOD and iTunes before being available in theatres. I definitely think this will happen more and more in the future, with the only issue being that its easier for people to pirate when the film is already on a computer. In the past couple months Ive seen ONLY GOD FORGIVES, DRINKING BUDDIES, THE LIFEGUARD, and now TOUCHY FEELY on demand. All of these films have some pretty big stars in them, so its interesting to see them being released like this.
- TOUCHY FEELY is the second film Ive seen by director Lynn Shelton. The first was YOUR SISTERS SISTER, which I enjoyed.
- TOUCHY FEELY looks at how different characters react to the human touch, with one main character being a massage therapist, and the other a dentist.
- The strongest part of the film is the different characters and the performances from all the actors.
Ive only seen two of Lynn Sheltons films, and although neither of them are outstanding, theyre both pretty good. The strength of the characters and the performances given by the cast makes this film a joy to watch. Josh Pais is fantastic, adding some very funny parts to the film. I just listened to an interview with the cast at Sundance and they mentioned that the crowd went crazy at the part when his character is in the massage parlor, and I definitely think that was the funniest part of the film. The biggest downfall is that it feels like Lynn Shelton brings some interesting and mysterious ideas near the beginning, but in the end they dont really mean anything. She couldve gone in many different directions, but decided to keep it as simple as possible, which was fine. The strength of characters and good performances from all, are reasons to give TOUCHY FEELY a chance.
- Rosemarie DeWitt plays Abby, a massage therapist. I enjoyed her in this role a lot.
- Josh Pais is Paul, a dentist. Hes the sister of Abby and my favourite character in the film. His character is really well written and brilliantly acted by Josh Pais. Hes very funny, and adds many comical parts to the film. The part when hes in the massage parlor is amazing.
- Ellen Page (Jenny), is the daughter of Paul. Shes a dental assistant, working with her father in their small office. Ellen Page acts the same as in every other film Ive seen her in, but she makes it work.
- Scoot McNairy plays Abbys boyfriend. I really liked him in KILLING THEM SOFTLY, and it was nice to see him in a different type of role.
- Some other side characters who are all great: Allison Janney, Tomo Nakayama, and Ron Livingston, who looks exactly like Mark Duplass, just more messed up.
TOUCHY FEELY: 7/10