|This year’s MTV Movie Awards will air tomorrow night and, as usual, you can expect a whole bunch of crazy award categories that classier award shows like the Oscars and the Globes simply don’t provide. Although Ellen has received several nominations for »Inception«, there is no official word yet if she is going to attend this LA-based event. Popsugar will be going live from the red carpet at 4:00 pm PT/7:00 pm ET and will interview celebrities as they arrive. Follow the link below to tune into the live broadcast!
Live Broadcast powered by Popsugar
Even if there is no news about Ellen Page, the work on this website steadily continues. New images are added to the gallery, articles and interviews are added to the press archive, the fancorner is being updated with further items like the upcoming DVD and Blu-ray of »SUPER« and so on. In the past two weeks, I worked on upgrading the old news script to the latest version. Its author recently decided to merge the free "Lite" with the rather professional "Pro" edition making some new and useful features available to everyone. While I'm satisfied with the script in general, I also have to admit the user support isn't the best and there are still some minor bugs that need to be fixed. But unlike other webmasters I'm doing my own coding, so this isn't a big deal at all. The new script has already been upgraded since Thursday and works fine as far as I can judge. It may not look like much has changed at first glance, but if you dig a little deeper and you will notice a few differences. Here is a brief description of the new features, improvements and changes.
- Improved RSS feed: The previous version was hands down a joke. It had no formatting and html tags as well as BB codes weren't interpreted correctly. Now each posting keeps its basic layout and URLs, images and other web elements are displayed properly. I hope the updated design will even increase the chance for EPO to become an IMDb NewsDesk Partner in near future. Take a look at the two screenshots below for a pre-post comparison:
- Revised comment function: While the original formatting including paragraph breaks and line breaks of each comment were correctly saved in the MySQL database, the script didn't output them in a suitable way. I've manually fixed this problem, so the comments are now shown correctly. At the same time, a query has been added which checks the correct format of the given email address. Since some bots try to spam certain new posts almost every day, I've modified the captcha code by using a new DotMatrix font as well as gridlines in the background and activating case sensitivity. I think the current settings provide the best balance between readability and security. In case users can't read the given code, they can generate a new one by clicking on the icon next to it. And finally the form moved to the top of the page making it easier for you to find out if your comment was successfully added or not. Again, here are some illustrative screenshots:
As always, please leave thoughts and feedback in the comment section!
- Direct links: As you may know from other scripts and sites, you can add an "id" parameter to the news page URL to directly view a specific post (Example: www.ellenpage.org/newsscript.php?id=275). The previously used "rssid" variable is still available though.
- Enhanced search results: The "Lite" script completely displayed all posts that included the entered search word on a single page. This was not only confusing, but also generated a temporary high load on the client computer. The new layout, which I created myself, simply outputs the title and the first 500 letters of each post making the search results more user friendly.
- Wap portal: This brand new feature was requested by long-term fan Hera B. a few years ago and is now available at "wap.ellenpage.org." As I only own an old-fashioned Sony Ericsson K750i, I haven't had the chance to test it in practice. But I used an online testing website to give it a first shot. I think it will serve the basic purpose, although there are some minor bugs that should be fixed. On the one hand, images are still embedded causing a long loading time and on the other hand, the URL's destination instead of it's caption is displayed. However, I'm willing to invest some time into further developing and optimizing it, if this feature attracts wide interest.
- Browser compatibility: The new script has been tested with all major browsers including Internet Explorer 8/9, Firefox 3.6/4, Google Chrome 11, Apple Safari 5 and Opera 11.11 to ensure optimal usability.